Section 10 in The Employment of Manual Scavengers and Construction of Dry Latrines (Prohibition) Act, 1993
Title: Power of Executive Authority to prevent environmental pollution in certain cases
(1) On receipt of information with respect to the fact or apprehension of any occurrence of contravention of the provisions of section 3, whether through intimation by some person or on a report of the inspector or otherwise, the Executive Authority shall, as early as practicable, besides taking any other action under this Act, direct the owner or occupier of the premises to take such remedial measures, as may be necessary, within such reasonable time as may be specified therein and in case the owner or occupier, as the case may be, fails to comply with such directions, cause such remedial measures to be taken as are necessary to prevent or mitigate the environmental pollution at the cost of such owner or occupier of the premises.
(2) The expenses, if any, incurred by the Executive Authority with respect to the remedial measures referred to in sub-section (1), together with interest at such rate as the State Government may specify from the date when a demand for the expenses is made until it is paid, may be recovered by such authority or agency from the person concerned as arrears of land revenue or of public demand.
Title: Duty of HUDCO to extend financial assistance in certain cases
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in its Memorandum of Association or Articles of Association or schemes for the grant of loans for housing and urban development, it shall be the duty of HUDCO to extend, in suitable cases, financial assistance for the implementation of such schemes for the construction of water-seal latrines as may be made under section 6.
(2) The financial assistance referred to in sub-section (1) may be extended by HUDCO on such terms and conditions (including on easy and concessional rates of interest) and in such manner as it may think fit in each case or class of cases.
Title: Power to levy fee
Any order or scheme which the State Government is empowered to make under this Act may, notwithstanding the absence of any express provision to that effect, provide for levy of fees in respect of—
(a) community latrines constructed under a scheme on pay and use basis; or
(b) shared latrines constructed under a scheme; or
(c) supply of copies of documents or orders or extracts thereof; or
(d) licensing of contractors for construction of water-seal latrines; or
(e) any other purpose or matter involving rendering of service by any officer, committee or authority under this Act or any rule, direction, order or scheme made thereunder:
Provided that the State Government may, if it considers necessary so to do, in the public interest, by general or special order published in the Official Gazette, grant exemption on such grounds as it deems fit from the payment of any such fee either in part or in full.
Title: Constitution of committees
(1) The Central Government may, by notification, constitute—
(a) one or more Project Committees for appraising of the schemes for the construction of waterseal latrines in the country;
(b) one or more Monitoring Committees to monitor the progress of such schemes;
(c) such other committees for such purposes of the Act and with such names as the Central Government may deem fit.
(2) The composition of the committees constituted by the Central Government, the powers and functions thereof, the terms and conditions of appointment of the members of such committees and other matters connected therewith shall be such as the Central Government may prescribe.
(3) The members of the committees under sub-section (1) shall be paid such fees and allowances for attending the meetings as may be prescribed.
(4) The State Government may, by notification, constitute—
(a) one or more State Co-ordination Committees for coordinating and monitoring of the programmes for the construction of water-seal latrines in the State and rehabilitation of the persons who were engaged in or employed for as manual scavengers in any area in respect of which a notification under sub-section (1) of section 3 has been issued;
(b) such other committees for such purpose of the Act and with such names as the State Government may deem fit.
(5) The composition of the committees constituted by the State Government the powers and functions thereof, the terms and conditions of the members of such committees and other matters connected therewith shall be such as the State Government may prescribe.
(6) The members of the committees under sub-section (4) shall be paid such fees and allowances for attending the meetings as may be prescribed
Title: Penalty for contravention of the provisions of the Act and rules, orders, directions and schemes
Whoever fails to comply with or contravenes any of the provisions of this Act, or the rules or schemes made or orders or directions issued thereunder, shall, in respect of each such failure or contravention be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year or with fine, which may extend to two thousand rupees, or with both, and in case the failure or contravention continues, with additional fine which may extend to one hundred rupees for every day during which such failure or contravention continues after the conviction for the first such failure or contravention.