Section 12 in The Acquisition of Certain Area at Ayodhya Act, 1993
Title: Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the provisions of this Act.
(2) Every rule made by the Central Government under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is in session, for a total period of thirty days which may be comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree in making any modification in the rule or both Houses agree that the rule should not be made, the rule shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be; so, however, that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under that rule.
Title: Repeal and saving
(1) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (2), the Acquisition of Certain Area at Ayodhya Ordinance, 1993 ( Ord. 8 of 1993), is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in the said Ordinance,—
(a) the right, title and interest in relation to plot No. 242 situated in village Kot Ramchandra specified against Sl. No. 1 of the Schedule to the said Ordinance shall be deemed never to have been transferred to, and vested in, the Central Government;
(b) any suit, appeal or other proceeding in respect of the right, title and interest relating to the said plot No. 242, pending before any court, tribunal or other authority, shall be deemed never to have abated and such suit, appeal or other proceeding (including the orders or interim orders of any court thereon) shall be deemed to have been restored to the position existing immediately before the commencement of the said Ordinance;
(c) any other action taken or thing done under that Ordinance in relation to the said plot No. 242 shall be deemed never to have been taken or done.
(3) Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the said Ordinance shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of this Act.
Title: Short title, extent, application, commencement, duration and savings
(1) This Act may be called the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis Act, 1993.
(2) It extends to the whole of India 1***.
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
(4) It shall cease to have effect after the 3[29th day of February, 2004], except as respects things done or omitted to be done before such cesser, and upon such cesser section 6 of the General Clauses Act, 1897 (10 of 1897), shall apply as if this Act had then been repealed by a Central Act.
1. The words "except the State of Jammu and Kashmir" omitted by Act 34 of 2019, s. 95 and the Fifth Schedule (w.e.f. 31-10- 2019).
2. 12th August, 1994, vide notification No. S.O. 591(E), dated 12th August, 1994, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
3. Subs. by Act 55 of 2001, s.2, for "31st day of March, 2002" (w.e.f. 13-12-2001)
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Chairperson" means the Chairperson of the Commission;
(b) "Commission" means the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis constituted under section 3;
(c) "Member" means a Member of the Commission;
(d) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(e) "Safai Karamchari" means a person engaged in, or employed for, manually carrying human excreta or any sanitation work;
(f) "Vice-Chairperson" means the Vice-Chairperson of the Commission.
Title: Constitution of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis
(1) The Central Government shall, by notification in the Official Gazette, constitute a body to be known as the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis to exercise the powers conferred on, and to perform the functions assigned to, it under this Act.
(2) The Commission shall consist of –
(a) a Chairperson;
(b) a Vice-Chairperson;
(c) five Members,
to be nominated, from amongst the persons of eminence connected with the socio-economic development and welfare of Safai Karamcharis, by the Central Government:
Provided that at least one of the Members shall be a woman.