Section 2 in The Central Agricultural University Act, 1992
In this Act, and in all Statutes made hereunder, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Academic Council" means the Academic Council of the University;
(b) "academic staff" means such categories of staff as are designated as academic staff by the Ordinances;
(c) "agriculture" means the basic and applied sciences of the soil and water management, crop production including production of all garden crops, control of plants, pests and diseases, horticulture including floriculture, animal husbandry including veterinary and dairy science, fisheries, forestry including farm forestry, home-science, agricultural engineering and technology, marketing and processing of agricultural and animal husbandry products, land use and management;
(d) "Board" means the Board of Management of the University;
(e) "Board of Studies" means the Board of Studies of the University;
(f) "Chancellor" means the Chancellor of the University;
(g) "college" means a constituent college of the University whether located at the headquarters, campus or elsewhere;
(h) "Department" means a Department of Studies of the University;
(i) "employee" means any person appointed by the University and includes teachers and other staff of the University;
(j) "extension education" means the educational activities concerned with the training of orchardists, farmers and other groups serving agriculture, horticulture, fisheries and improved practices related thereto and the various phases of scientific technology related to agriculture and agricultural production including post harvest technology and marketing;
(k) "Faculty" means Faculty of the University;
(l) "North-Eastern region" means the North-Eastern region of India comprising the States of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, 1[Nagaland,] Sikkim and Tripura;
(m) "Ordinances" means the Ordinances of the University;
(n) "Regulations" means the Regulations made by any authority of the University;
(o) "Research Advisory Committee" means the Research Advisory Committee of the University;
(p) "Statutes" means the Statutes of the University;
(q) "student" means a person enrolled in the University for undergoing a course of studies for obtaining a degree, diploma or other academic distinction duly instituted;
(r) "teachers" means Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors, Teaching Faculty Members and their equivalent appointed for imparting instruction or conducting research or extension education programmes or combination of these in the University, college or any institute maintained by the University and designated as teachers by the Ordinances;
(s) "University" means the Central Agricultural University established under this Act;
(t) "Vice-Chancellor" means the Vice-Chancellor of the University;
(u) "Visitor" means the Visitor of the University.
1. Ins. by Act 45 of 2016, s. 2 (w.e.f. 19-8-2016).
Title: The University
(1) There shall be established a University by the name of the "Central Agricultural University".
(2) The headquarters of the University shall be at Imphal in the State of Manipur and it may also establish campuses at such other places within its jurisdiction as it may deem fit.
(3) The first Chancellor and the first Vice-Chancellor and the first members of the Board, the Academic Council and all persons who may hereafter become such officers or members, so long as they continue to hold such office or membership are hereby constituted a body corporate by the name of the Central Agricultural University.
(4) The University shall have perpetual succession and a common seal and shall sue and be sued by the said name.
Title: Objects of the University
The objects of the University shall be—
(a) to impart education in different branches of agricultural and allied sciences as it may deem fit;
(b) to further the advancement of learning and prosecution of research in agriculture and allied sciences;
(c) to undertake programmes of extension education in the States under its jurisdiction; and
(d) to undertake such other activities as it may, from time to time, determine.
Title: Powers of the University
The University shall have the following powers, namely:--
(i) to make provision for instructions in agricultural and allied sciences;
(ii) to make provision for conduct of research in agricultural and allied branches of learning;
(iii) to make provision for dissemination of the findings of research and technical information through extension programmes;
(iv) to grant, subject to such conditions as it may determine, diplomas or certificates to, and confer degrees or other academic distinctions on the basis of examination, evaluation or any other method of testing, on persons, and to withdraw any such diplomas, certificates, degrees or other academic distinction for good and sufficient cause;
(v) to confer honorary degrees or other distinctions in the manner prescribed by the Statutes;
(vi) to provide lectures and instructions for field workers, village leaders and other persons not enrolled as regular students of the University and to grant certificates to them as may be prescribed by the Statutes;
(vii) to co-operate or collaborate or associate with any other University or authority or institution of higher learning in such manner and for such purposes as the University may determine;
(viii) to establish and maintain colleges relating to agriculture, fisheries, dairying, veterinary medicine and animal science, home-science, agricultural engineering, forestry and allied sciences;
(ix) to establish and maintain such campuses, special centres, specialised laboratories, libraries, museums or other units for research and instruction as are, in its opinion, necessary for the furtherance of its objects;
(x) to create teaching, research and extension education posts and to make appointments thereto;
(xi) to create administrative, ministerial and other posts and to make appointments thereto;
(xii) to institute and award fellowships, scholarships, studentships, medals and prizes;
(xiii) to determine standards of admission to the University, which may include examination, evaluation or any other method of testing;
(xiv) to provide and maintain residential accommodation for students and employees;
(xv) to supervise the residences of the students of the University and to make arrangements for promoting their health and general welfare;
(xvi) to lay down conditions of service of all categories of employees, including their code of conduct;
(xvii) to regulate and enforce discipline among the students and the employees, and to take such disciplinary measures in this regard as it may deem necessary;
(xviii) to fix, demand and receive such fees and other charges as may be prescribed by the Statutes;
(xix) to borrow, with the approval of the Central Government on the security of its property, money for the purpose of the University;
(xx) to receive benefactions, donations and gifts and to acquire, hold, manage and dispose of any property, movable or immovable, including trust and endowment properties for its purposes;
(xxi) to do all such other acts and things as may be necessary, incidental or conducive to the attainment of all or any of its objects.
(1) The jurisdiction and responsibility of the University with respect to teaching, research and programmes of extension education at the University level, in the field of agricultural shall extend to the States of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, 1[Nagaland,] Sikkim and Tripura.
(2) All colleges, research and experimental stations or other institutions coming under the jurisdiction and authority of the University shall be its constituent units under the full management and control of its officers and authorities and no such units shall be recognised as affiliated units.
(3) The University may assume responsibility for the training of field extension workers and others and may develop such training centres as may be required in various parts of the States under its jurisdiction.
1. Ins. by Act 45 of 2016, s. 3 (w.e.f. 19-8-2016).