Section 3 in The National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992
Title: Constitution of the National Commission for Minorities
(1) The Central Government shall constitute a body to be known as the National Commission for Minorities to exercise the powers conferred on, and to perform the functions assigned to, it under this Act.
(2) The Commission shall consist of a 1[Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson and five Members] to be nominated by the Central Government from amongst persons of eminence, ability and integrity:
Provided that five Members including the Chairperson shall be from amongst the minority communities.
1. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for "Chairperson and six Members" (w.e.f. 18-9-1995).
Title: Term of office and conditions of service of Chairperson and Members
(1) The Chairperson and every Member shall hold office for a term of three years from the date he assumes office.
(2) The Chairperson or a Member may, by writing under his hand addressed to the Central Government, resign from the office of Chairperson or, as the case may be, of the Member at any time.
(3) The Central Government shall remove a person from the office of Chairperson or a Member referred to in sub-section (2) if that person—
(a) becomes an undischarged insolvent;
(b) is convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for an offence which, in the opinion of the Central Government, involves moral turpitude;
(c) becomes of unsound mind and stands so declared by a competent court;
(d) refuses to act or becomes incapable of acting;
(e) is, without obtaining leave of absence from the Commission, absent from three consecutive meetings of the Commission; or
(f) has, in the opinion of the Central Government, so abused the position of Chairperson or Member as to render that person's continuance in office detrimental to the interests of minorities or the public interest:
Provided that no person shall be removed under this clause until that person has been given a reasonable opportunity of being heard in the matter.
(4) A vacancy caused under sub-section (2) or otherwise shall be filled by fresh nomination.
(5) The salaries and allowances payable to, and the other terms and conditions of service of, the Chairperson and Members shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Officers and other employees of the Commission
(1) The Central Government shall provide the Commission with a Secretary and such other officers and employees as may be necessary for the efficient performance of the functions of the Commission under this Act.
(2) The salaries and allowances payable to, and the other terms and conditions of service of, the officers and other employees appointed for the purpose of the Commission shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Salaries and allowances to be paid out of grants
The salaries and allowances payable to the Chairperson and Members and the administrative expenses, including salaries, allowances and pensions payable to the officers and other employees referred to in section 5, shall be paid out of the grants referred to in sub-section (1) of section 10.
Title: Vacancies, etc., not to invalidate proceedings of the Commission
No act or proceeding of the Commission shall be questioned or shall be invalid merely on the ground of the existence of any vacancy or defect in the constitution of the Commission.