Section 12 in The Indian Council of World Affairs Act, 2001
Title: Meetings of Council
The Council shall hold its first meeting at such time and place as may be appointed by the Central Government and shall observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at the first meeting as may be laid down by that Government; and thereafter the Council shall meet at such times and places and observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings as may be prescribed by regulations.
Title: Objects of Council.
The objects of the Council shall be—
(a) to promote the study of Indian and international affairs so as to develop a body of informed opinion on international matters;
(b) to promote India's relations with other countries through study, research, discussion, lectures, exchange of ideas and information with other organisations within and outside India engaged in similar activities;
(c) to serve as a clearing house of information and knowledge regarding world affairs;
(d) to publish books, periodicals, journals, reviews, papers, pamphlets and other literature on subjects covered under clauses (a) and (b);
(e) to establish contacts with organisations promoting objects mentioned in this section;
(f) to arrange conferences and seminars to discuss and study the Indian policy towards international affairs; and
(g) to undertake such other activities for the promotion of ideas and attainment of the above-mentioned objects.
Title: Governing Body and other committees of Council
(1) There shall be a Governing Body of the Council which shall be constituted by the Council.
(2) The Governing Body shall be the executive committee of the Council and shall exercise such powers and discharge such functions as the Council may, by regulations made in this behalf, confer or impose upon it.
(3) On and from such date as may be appointed by the Central Government by notification in the Official Gazette, the Vice-President of India, ex officio shall be the Chairperson of the Governing Body and shall exercise such powers and discharge such functions as may be prescribed by regulations.
(4) The procedure to be followed by the Governing Body in the exercise of its powers and discharge of its functions and the term of office of, and the manner of filling vacancies among the members of the Governing Body, shall be such as may be prescribed by regulations.
(5) Subject to such control and restrictions as may be prescribed by rules, the Council may constitute as many standing committees and as many ad hoc committees as it thinks fit for exercising any power or discharging any function of the Council or for inquiring into, or reporting or advising upon, any matter which the Council may refer to them.
(6) The Chairperson and members of the Governing Body or a standing committee or an ad hoc committee shall receive such allowances as may be prescribed by regulations.
Title: Staff of Council.
1[(1) There shall be a Director-General of the Council who shall, before a Council is constituted under sub-section (2) of section 7, be appointed by the Council constituted under sub-section (1) of that section and thereafter during the tenure of a Council constituted under sub-section (2) of section 7, by that Council.
(1A) Every appointment of the Director-General under sub-section (1) shall be made from a panel of at least two names recommended by the Government of India in the Ministry of External Affairs.
(1B) The Director-General shall be the chief executive officer of the Council.
(1C) The Director-General shall be at least equivalent to the rank of Additional Secretary to the Government of India and shall have a tenure not exceeding three years.
(2) The Director-General shall act as ex officio Member-Secretary to the Council, its Governing Body and other bodies and Committees thereof.]
(3) The Director-General shall exercise such powers and discharge such functions as may be prescribed by regulations or as may be delegated to him by the Council or the President or the Governing Body or the Chairperson.
(4) The Financial Advisor of the Ministry of External Affairs shall be the Financial Advisor of the Council.
(5) Subject to such rules as may be made in this behalf, the Council may appoint such number of other officers and employees as may be necessary for the exercise of its powers and efficient discharge of its functions and may determine the designations an grades of such other officers and employees.
(6) Subject to such rules as may be made in this behalf, the Director-General and other officers and employees of the Council shall be entitled to such salary and allowances and shall be governed by such conditions of service in respect of leave, pension gratuity, provident fund and other matters, as may be prescribed by regulations made in this behalf.
1. Subs. by Act 5 of 2004, s. 3, for sub-sections (1) and (2) (w.e.f. 7-1-2004).
Title: Functions of Council
The Council shall undertake various plans to promote, organise and implement various programmes for efficiently achieving the objects of the Council specified in section 13 and shall also perform such other functions as the Central Government may, by rules, prescribe.