Section 8 in The Haj Committee Act, 2002
Title: Reconstitution of Committee
(1) The Central Government shall take or cause to be taken all necessary steps for the reconstitution of a new Committee at least four months before the expiry of the term, or the extended term, as the case may be, of the committee.
(2) An outgoing member shall be eligible for renomination on the Committee for not more than two terms:
Provided that not more than fifty per cent. of the members may be renominated for a second term in such manner as may be prescribed.
Title: Duties of Committee
(1) The duties of the Committee shall be—
(i) to collect and disseminate information useful to pilgrims, and to arrange orientation and training programmes for pilgrims;
(ii) to advise and assist pilgrims during their stay at the embarkation points in India, while proceeding to or returning from pilgrimage, in all matters including vaccination, inoculation, medical inspection, issue of pilgrim passes and foreign exchange, and to liaise with the local authorities concerned in such matters;
(iii) to give relief to pilgrims in distress;
(iv) to finalise the annual Haj plan with the approval of the Central Government, and execute the plan, including the arrangements for travel by air or any other means, and to advise in matters relating to accommodations;
(v) to approve the budget estimates of the Committee and submit it to the Central Government at least three months before the beginning of the financial year for its concurrence;
(vi) to co-ordinate with the Central Government, railways, airways and travel agencies for the purpose of securing travelling facilities for pilgrims;
(vii) to generally look after the welfare of the pilgrims;
(viii) to publish such proceedings of the Committee and such matters of interest to pilgrims as may be determined by bye-laws made in this behalf by the Committee;
(ix) to discharge such other duties in connection with Haj as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
(2) The Central Government shall afford all reasonable assistance to the Committee in the discharge of the duties specified in sub-section (1).
Title: Meetings of Committee
(1) The Committee shall meet at least three times in a year before the commencement of the Haj season to plan and make arrangements for Haj and once after that to review all arrangements made by the Committee.
(2) In addition to the meetings specified in sub-section (1), the Committee may hold meetings as and when requisitioned by at least one-third of its members or when considered necessary by the Chairperson.
(3) The number of members required to make a quorum at any meeting of the Committee shall be one-third of its members.
(4) All matters shall be decided by a majority of votes of the members present and, in the event of an equality of votes, the Chairperson or other person presiding shall have a casting vote.
(5) The Committee shall observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings as may be determined by bye-laws.
Title: Appointment of Standing and sub-committees
(1) The Committee shall appoint two Standing Committees, each headed by a Vice-Chairperson of the Committee, to deal with matters relating to finance and Haj arrangements, from amongst its member consisting of such number of members and with such powers and functions as may be determined by bye-laws made in this behalf by the Committee:
Provided that the Chairperson shall preside over the meeting of the Standing Committee in case he attends the meeting.
(2) The Committee may also appoint other sub-committees for such purposes as it may think fit and any such sub-committee shall consist of such number of members and other persons as may be determined by bye-laws made in this behalf by the Committee.
Title: Disqualification for being nominated, or for continuing, as a member of Committee
A person shall be disqualified for being nominated, or for continuing as a member of the Committee, if he—
(i) is not a citizen of India;
(ii) is not a Muslim, except for ex officio members as provided in clause (iii) of section 4;
(iii) is less than twenty-five years of age;
(iv) is of unsound mind and stands so declared by a competent court;
(v) is an undischarged insolvent;
(vi) has been convicted of an offence which, in the opinion of the Central Government, involves a moral turpitude;
(vii) has been on a previous occasion—
(a) removed from his office as a member; or
(b) removed by an order of a competent authority either for not acting in the interest of the pilgrims or for corruption.