Section 5 in The Haj Committee Act, 2002
Title: Notification of members
As soon as may be after the nomination of the members of the Committee under section 4, the Central Government shall publish in the Official Gazette the names of all such members.
Title: Term of office
(1) The term of office of the members of the Committee (other than the ex officio members and members filling casual vacancies) shall be three years, commencing on the day following the publication of the list of members under section 5:
Provided that the term of the members of the Committee may be extended by the Central Government by a notification in the Official Gazette for a period not exceeding six months at a time but, in any case, not exceeding beyond a total period of one year.
(2) The allowances payable to, and the other terms and conditions of, the Chairperson, Vice-Chairpersons and members shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Chairperson and Vice-Chairpersons
(1) After the publication of the names of members of the Committee under section 5, the Central Government shall convene within forty-five days of such publication the first meeting of the Committee at which the Committee shall elect a Chairperson and two Vice-Chairpersons from amongst its members :
Provided that a Minister shall not be the Chairperson of the Committee and ex officio members shall not take part in the election of the Chairperson or of the Vice-Chairpersons.
(2) If the Committee fails to elect the Chairperson or the Vice-Chairpersons the Central Government may appoint a member of the Committee to be the Chairperson thereof or Vice-Chairpersons, as the case may be.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be prescribed.
(4) The Vice-Chairpersons shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be determined by bye-laws made in this behalf by the Committee:
Provided that till such bye-laws are made, the Vice-Chairpersons shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be determined by an order made by the Chairperson in this regard.
(5) The election of the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairpersons shall be notified by the Central Government in the Official Gazette.
(6) The term of office of the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairpersons, as the case may be, shall be co-terminus with the term of the Committee and no person shall hold office of the Chairperson or the Vice-Chairpersons, as the case may be, for more than two consecutive terms.
(7) Any casual vacancy in the office of the Chairperson or a Vice-Chairperson shall be filled for the remainder of the term in accordance with sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), as the case may be.
Title: Reconstitution of Committee
(1) The Central Government shall take or cause to be taken all necessary steps for the reconstitution of a new Committee at least four months before the expiry of the term, or the extended term, as the case may be, of the committee.
(2) An outgoing member shall be eligible for renomination on the Committee for not more than two terms:
Provided that not more than fifty per cent. of the members may be renominated for a second term in such manner as may be prescribed.
Title: Duties of Committee
(1) The duties of the Committee shall be—
(i) to collect and disseminate information useful to pilgrims, and to arrange orientation and training programmes for pilgrims;
(ii) to advise and assist pilgrims during their stay at the embarkation points in India, while proceeding to or returning from pilgrimage, in all matters including vaccination, inoculation, medical inspection, issue of pilgrim passes and foreign exchange, and to liaise with the local authorities concerned in such matters;
(iii) to give relief to pilgrims in distress;
(iv) to finalise the annual Haj plan with the approval of the Central Government, and execute the plan, including the arrangements for travel by air or any other means, and to advise in matters relating to accommodations;
(v) to approve the budget estimates of the Committee and submit it to the Central Government at least three months before the beginning of the financial year for its concurrence;
(vi) to co-ordinate with the Central Government, railways, airways and travel agencies for the purpose of securing travelling facilities for pilgrims;
(vii) to generally look after the welfare of the pilgrims;
(viii) to publish such proceedings of the Committee and such matters of interest to pilgrims as may be determined by bye-laws made in this behalf by the Committee;
(ix) to discharge such other duties in connection with Haj as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
(2) The Central Government shall afford all reasonable assistance to the Committee in the discharge of the duties specified in sub-section (1).