Section 4 in The Haj Committee Act, 2002
Title: Composition of Committee
The Committee shall consist of the following members, namely:--
(i) three members of Parliament of whom two are to be nominated by the Speaker of the House of the People from among its Muslim members, and one by the Chairman of the Council of States from among its Muslim members:
Provided that a member of Parliament shall, upon ceasing to be a member, cease to be a member of the Committee and the Speaker of the House of the People or the Chairman of the Council of States, as the case may be, shall make a fresh nomination upon request by the Central Government;
(ii) nine Muslim members of the Committee shall be elected, three from those States sending largest number of pilgrims during last three years and one each from the zones as specified in the Schedule, in such manner as may be prescribed:
Provided that not more than one member shall be elected from a State falling in the zone as specified in the Schedule;
(iii) four persons not below the rank of Joint Secretary to the Government of India nominated by that Government to represent the Ministries of External Affairs, Home, Finance and Civil Aviation, as ex officio members;
(iv) seven Muslim members shall be nominated by the Central Government from among the following categories of persons, namely:--
(a) two members who have special knowledge of public administration, finance, education, culture or social work and out of whom one shall be a Shia Muslim;
(b) two women members, out of them one shall be Shia Muslim;
(c) three members who have special knowledge of Muslim theology and law, out of them one shall be a Shia Muslim.
Title: Notification of members
As soon as may be after the nomination of the members of the Committee under section 4, the Central Government shall publish in the Official Gazette the names of all such members.
Title: Term of office
(1) The term of office of the members of the Committee (other than the ex officio members and members filling casual vacancies) shall be three years, commencing on the day following the publication of the list of members under section 5:
Provided that the term of the members of the Committee may be extended by the Central Government by a notification in the Official Gazette for a period not exceeding six months at a time but, in any case, not exceeding beyond a total period of one year.
(2) The allowances payable to, and the other terms and conditions of, the Chairperson, Vice-Chairpersons and members shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Chairperson and Vice-Chairpersons
(1) After the publication of the names of members of the Committee under section 5, the Central Government shall convene within forty-five days of such publication the first meeting of the Committee at which the Committee shall elect a Chairperson and two Vice-Chairpersons from amongst its members :
Provided that a Minister shall not be the Chairperson of the Committee and ex officio members shall not take part in the election of the Chairperson or of the Vice-Chairpersons.
(2) If the Committee fails to elect the Chairperson or the Vice-Chairpersons the Central Government may appoint a member of the Committee to be the Chairperson thereof or Vice-Chairpersons, as the case may be.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be prescribed.
(4) The Vice-Chairpersons shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be determined by bye-laws made in this behalf by the Committee:
Provided that till such bye-laws are made, the Vice-Chairpersons shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as may be determined by an order made by the Chairperson in this regard.
(5) The election of the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairpersons shall be notified by the Central Government in the Official Gazette.
(6) The term of office of the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairpersons, as the case may be, shall be co-terminus with the term of the Committee and no person shall hold office of the Chairperson or the Vice-Chairpersons, as the case may be, for more than two consecutive terms.
(7) Any casual vacancy in the office of the Chairperson or a Vice-Chairperson shall be filled for the remainder of the term in accordance with sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), as the case may be.
Title: Reconstitution of Committee
(1) The Central Government shall take or cause to be taken all necessary steps for the reconstitution of a new Committee at least four months before the expiry of the term, or the extended term, as the case may be, of the committee.
(2) An outgoing member shall be eligible for renomination on the Committee for not more than two terms:
Provided that not more than fifty per cent. of the members may be renominated for a second term in such manner as may be prescribed.