Section 17 in The Disaster Management Act, 2005
Title: Constitution of advisory committee by the State Authority
(1) A State Authority may, as and when it considers necessary, constitute an advisory committee, consisting of experts in the field of disaster management and having practical experience of disaster management to make recommendations on different aspects of disaster management.
(2) The members of the advisory committee shall be paid such allowances as may be prescribed by the State Government.
Title: Powers and functions of State Authority
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, a State Authority shall have the responsibility for laying down policies and plans for disaster management in the State.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of provisions contained in sub-section (1), the State Authority may—
(a) lay down the State disaster management policy;
(b) approve the State Plan in accordance with the guidelines laid down by the National Authority;
(c) approve the disaster management plans prepared by the departments of the Government of the State;
(d) lay down guidelines to be followed by the departments of the Government of the State for the purposes of integration of measures for prevention of disasters and mitigation in their development plans and projects and provide necessary technical assistance therefor;
(e) coordinate the implementation of the State Plan;
(f) recommend provision of funds for mitigation and preparedness measures;
(g) review the development plans of the different departments of the State and ensure that prevention and mitigation measures are integrated therein;(h) review the measures being taken for mitigation, capacity building and preparedness by the departments of the Government of the State and issue such guidelines as may be necessary.
(3) The Chairperson of the State Authority shall, in the case of emergency, have power to exercise all or any of the powers of the State Authority but the exercise of such powers shall be subject to ex post facto ratification of the State Authority.
Title: Guidelines for minimum standard of relief by State Authority.
The State Authority shall lay down detailed guidelines for providing standards of relief to persons affected by disaster in the State:
Provided that such standards shall in no case be less than the minimum standards in the guidelines laid down by the National Authority in this regard.
Title: Constitution of State Executive Committee
(1) The State Government shall, immediately after issue of notification under sub-section (1) of section 14, constitute a State Executive Committee to assist the State Authority in the performance of its functions and to coordinate action in accordance with the guidelines laid down by the State Authority and ensure the compliance of directions issued by the State Government under this Act.
(2) The State Executive Committee shall consist of the following members, namely:—
(a) the Chief Secretary to the State Government, who shall be Chairperson, ex officio;
(b) four Secretaries to the Government of the State of such departments as the State Government may think fit, ex officio.
(3) The Chairperson of the State Executive Committee shall exercise such powers and perform such functions as may be prescribed by the State Government and such other powers and functions as may be delegated to him by the State Authority.
(4) The procedure to be followed by the State Executive Committee in exercise of its powers and discharge of its functions shall be such as may be prescribed by the State Government.
Title: Constitution of sub-committees by State Executive Committee
(1) The State Executive Committee may, as and when it considers necessary, constitute one or more sub-committees, for efficient discharge of its functions.
(2) The State Executive Committee shall, from amongst its members, appoint the Chairperson of the sub-committee referred to in sub-section (1).
3) Any person associated as an expert with any sub-committee may be paid such allowances as may be prescribed by the State Government.