Section 14 in The Disaster Management Act, 2005
Title: Establishment of State Disaster Management Authority
(1) Every State Government shall, as soon as may be after the issue of the notification under sub-section (1) of section 3, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish a State Disaster Management Authority for the State with such name as may be specified in the notification of the State Government.
(2) A State Authority shall consist of the Chairperson and such number of other members, not exceeding nine, as may be prescribed by the State Government and, unless the rules otherwise provide, the State Authority shall consist of the following members, namely:—
(a) the Chief Minister of the State, who shall be Chairperson, ex officio;
(b) other members, not exceeding eight, to be nominated by the Chairperson of the State Authority;
(c) the Chairperson of the State Executive Committee, ex officio.
(3) The Chairperson of the State Authority may designate one of the members nominated under clause (b) of sub-section (2) to be the Vice-Chairperson of the State Authority.
(4) The Chairperson of the State Executive Committee shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the State Authority, ex officio:
Provided that in the case of a Union territory having Legislative Assembly, except the Union territory of Delhi, the Chief Minister shall be the Chairperson of the Authority established under this section and in case of other Union territories, the Lieutenant Governor or the Administrator shall be the Chairperson of that Authority:
Provided further that the Lieutenant Governor of the Union territory of Delhi shall be the Chairperson and the Chief Minister thereof shall be the Vice-Chairperson of the State Authority.
(5) The term of office and conditions of service of members of the State Authority shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Meetings of the State Authority
(1) The State Authority shall meet as and when necessary and at such time and place as the Chairperson of the State Authority may think fit.
(2) The Chairperson of the State Authority shall preside over the meetings of the State Authority.
(3) If for any reason, the Chairperson of the State Authority is unable to attend the meeting of the State Authority, the Vice-Chairperson of the State Authority shall preside at the meeting.
Title: Appointment of officers and other employees of State Authority
The State Government shall provide the State Authority with such officers, consultants and employees, as it considers necessary, for carrying out the functions of the State Authority.
Title: Constitution of advisory committee by the State Authority
(1) A State Authority may, as and when it considers necessary, constitute an advisory committee, consisting of experts in the field of disaster management and having practical experience of disaster management to make recommendations on different aspects of disaster management.
(2) The members of the advisory committee shall be paid such allowances as may be prescribed by the State Government.
Title: Powers and functions of State Authority
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, a State Authority shall have the responsibility for laying down policies and plans for disaster management in the State.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of provisions contained in sub-section (1), the State Authority may—
(a) lay down the State disaster management policy;
(b) approve the State Plan in accordance with the guidelines laid down by the National Authority;
(c) approve the disaster management plans prepared by the departments of the Government of the State;
(d) lay down guidelines to be followed by the departments of the Government of the State for the purposes of integration of measures for prevention of disasters and mitigation in their development plans and projects and provide necessary technical assistance therefor;
(e) coordinate the implementation of the State Plan;
(f) recommend provision of funds for mitigation and preparedness measures;
(g) review the development plans of the different departments of the State and ensure that prevention and mitigation measures are integrated therein;(h) review the measures being taken for mitigation, capacity building and preparedness by the departments of the Government of the State and issue such guidelines as may be necessary.
(3) The Chairperson of the State Authority shall, in the case of emergency, have power to exercise all or any of the powers of the State Authority but the exercise of such powers shall be subject to ex post facto ratification of the State Authority.