Section 9 in The Special Economic Zones Act, 2005
Title: Duties, Powers and functions of Board.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Board shall have the duty to promote and ensure orderly development of the Special Economic Zones.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the provisions contained in sub-section (1), the powers and functions of the Board shall include—
(a) granting of approval or rejecting proposal or modifying such proposals for establishment of the Special Economic Zones;
(b) granting approval of authorised operations to be carried out in the Special Economic Zones by the Developer;
(c) granting of approval to the Developers or Units (other than the Developers or the Units which are exempt from obtaining approval under any law or by the Central Government) for foreign collaborations and foreign direct investments (including investments by a person resident outside India), in the Special Economic Zone for its development, operation and maintenance;
(d) granting of approval or rejecting of proposal for providing infrastructure facilities in a Special Eonomic Zone or modifying such proposals;
(e) granting, notwithstanding anything contained in the Industries (Development and Regulation) Act, 1951 (65 of 1951), a licence to an industrial undertaking referred to in clause (d) of section 3 of that Act, if such undertaking is established, as a whole or part thereof, or proposed to be established, in a Special Economic Zone;
(f) suspension of the letter of approval granted to a Developer and appointment of an Administrator under sub-section (1) of section 10;
(g) disposing of appeals preferred under sub-section (4) of section 15;
(h) disposing of appeals preferred under sub-section (4) of section 16;
(i) performing such other functions as may be assigned to it by the Central Government.
(3) The Board may, if so required for the purposes of this Act or any other law for the time being in force relating to Special Economic Zones, by notification, decide as to whether a particular activity constitutes manufacture as defined in clause (r) of section 2 and such decision of the Board shall be binding on all Ministries and Departments of the Central Government.
(4) The Board may delegate such powers and functions as it may deem fit to one or more Development Commissioners for effective and proper discharge of the functions of the Board.
(5) Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions of this Act, the Board shall, in exercise of its powers or the performance of its functions under this Act, be bound by such directions on questions of policy as the Central Government may give in writing to it from time to time.
(6) The decision of the Central Government whether a question is one of policy or not shall be final.
Title: Suspension of letter of approval and transfer of Special Economic Zone in certain cases
(1) If, at any time, the Board is of the opinion that a Developer—
(a) is unable to discharge the functions or perform the duties imposed on him by or under the provisions of this Act or rules made thereunder; or
(b) has persistently defaulted in complying with any direction given by the Board under this Act; or
(c) has violated the terms and conditions of the letter of approval; or
(d) whose financial position is such that he is unable to fully and efficiently discharge the duties and obligations imposed on him by the letter of approval, and
the circumstances exist which render it necessary for it in public interest so to do, the Board may, on application, or with the consent of the Developer, or otherwise, for reasons to be recorded in writing, suspend the letter of approval, granted to the Developer for a whole or part of his area established as Special Economic Zone, for a period not exceeding one year and appoint an Administrator to discharge the functions of the Developer in accordance with the terms and conditions of the letter of approval and manage the Special Economic Zone accordingly.
(2) Consequent upon appointment of an Administrator, the management of the Special Economic Zone of the Developer referred to in sub-section (1) shall vest in the Administrator.
(3) No letter of approval shall be suspended under sub-section (1) unless the Board has given to the Developer not less than three months' notice, in writing, stating the grounds on which it proposes to suspend the letter of approval, and has considered any cause shown by the Developer within the period of that notice, against the proposed suspension.
(4) The Board may, instead of suspending the letter of approval under sub-section (1), permit it to remain in force subject to such further terms and conditions as it thinks fit to impose, and any further terms or conditions so imposed shall be binding upon and be complied with by the Developer and shall be of like force and effect as if they were contained in the letter of approval.
(5) In case the Board suspends a letter of approval under this section, it shall serve a notice of suspension upon the Developer and fix a date on which the suspension shall take effect.
(6) Upon suspension of the letter of approval under sub-section (1), the Special Economic Zone of the Developer referred to in sub-section (5) shall vest in the Administrator under sub-section (2) for a period not exceeding one year or up to the date on which the letter of approval for such Special Economic Zone is transferred, whichever is earlier, in accordance with the provisions contained in sub-sections (7) and (9), as the case may be.
(7) Where the Board has given notice for suspension of letter of approval under sub-section (5), the Developer may, after prior approval of the Board, transfer his letter of approval to any person who is found eligible by the Board for grant of such approval.
(8) If at any time, it appears to the Board that the purpose of the order appointing the Administrator has been fulfilled or that for any reason it is undesirable that the order of appointment should remain in force, the Board may cancel the order and thereupon the Administrator shall be divested of the management of the Special Economic Zone which shall, unless otherwise directed by the Board, again vest in the person, being the Developer, in whom it was vested immediately prior to the date of appointment of the Administrator.
(9) Where the Board suspends the letter of approval, under this section, in respect of any Developer, the following provisions shall apply, namely:--
(a) the Board shall invite applications for transferring the letter of approval of the Developer, whose approval has been suspended and select the person or persons, in accordance with the procedure as may be prescribed, to whom the letter of approval of the Developer in the Special Economic Zone may be transferred;
(b) upon selection of person or persons under sub-clause (a), the Board may, by notice in writing, require the Developer to transfer his letter of approval in a Special Economic Zone to the person or persons so selected and thereupon the Developer shall transfer his interests, rights and liabilities in the Special Economic Zone to any of the persons (hereafter in this section referred to as the "transferee") who has been selected by the Board on such terms and conditions and consideration as may be agreed upon between the Developer and the transferee;
(c) all the rights, duties, obligations and liabilities of the Developer, on and from the date of suspension of letter of approval or on and from the date, if earlier, on which his letter of approval in the Special Economic Zone of the Developer has been transferred to the transferee, shall cease absolutely except for any liabilities which have accrued prior to that date;
(d) the Board may make such interim arrangements in regard to the operation of the Special Economic Zone as may be considered appropriate;
(e) the Administrator shall exercise such powers and discharge such functions as the Board may direct.
(10) The Board may, in order to promote export or to protect the interest of Units or in the public interest, issue such directions or formulate such scheme as it may consider necessary for operation of the Special Economic Zone.
Title: Development Commissioner
(1) The Central Government may appoint any of its officers not below the rank of Deputy Secretary to the Government of India as the Development Commissioner of one or more Special Economic Zones.
(2) The Central Government may appoint such officers and other employees as it considers necessary to assist the Development Commissioner in the performance of his functions in the Special Economic Zones established by a Developer (other than the Central Government) under this Act on such terms and conditions as it deems fit.
(3) Every Development Commissioner, officer and other employee shall be entitled to such salary and allowances and subject to such terms and conditions of service in respect of leave, pension, provident fund and other matters as may, from time to time, be specified by the Central Government.
Title: Functions of Development Commissioner
(1) Every Development Commissioner shall take all steps in order to discharge his functions under this Act to ensure speedy development of the Special Economic Zone and promotion of exports therefrom.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provisions, the Development Commissioner shall—
(a) guide the entrepreneurs for setting up of Units in the Special Economic Zone;
(b) ensure and take suitable steps for effective promotion of exports from the Special Economic Zone;
(c) ensure proper co-ordination with the Central Government or State Government Departments concerned or agencies with respect to, or for the purposes, of clauses (a) and (b);
(d) monitor the performance of the Developer and the Units in a Special Economic Zone;
(e) discharge such other functions as may be assigned to him by the Central Government under this Act or any other law for the time being in force; and
(f) discharge such other functions as may be delegated to him by the Board.
(3) Every Development Commissioner shall be overall in-charge of the Special Economic Zone and shall exercise administrative control and supervision over the officers and employees appointed under sub-section (2) of section 11 (including the officials deputed to such Special Economic Zone) to discharge any of the functions under this Act.
(4) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-sections (1) to (3), every Development Commissioner shall discharge such functions and exercise such powers as may be delegated to him by a general or special order by the Central Government or the State Government concerned, as the case may be.
(5) Every Development Commissioner may call for such information from a Developer or Unit from time to time as may be necessary to monitor the performance of the Developer or the Unit, as the case may be.
(6) The Development Commissioner may delegate any or all of his powers or functions to any of the officers employed under him.
Title: Constitution of Approval Committee
(1) The Central Government shall,--
(a) in the case of existing Special Economic Zones, within six months from the date of commencement of this Act;
(b) in case of other Special Economic Zones established after the commencement of this Act, within six months from the date of establishment of such Special Economic Zone,
by notification, constitute a Committee for every Special Economic Zone, to be called the Approval Committee to exercise the powers and perform the functions specified in section 14.
(2) Every Approval Committee shall consist of—
(a) the Development Commissioner--Chairperson, ex officio;
(b) two officers of the Central Government to be nominated by that Government--Members, ex officio;
(c) two officers of the Central Government to be nominated by that Government to represent the Ministry or Department dealing with revenue--Members, ex officio;
(d) one officer of the Central Government to be nominated by that Government to represent the Ministry or Department dealing with economic affairs (financial services)--Member, ex officio;
(e) two officers of the State Government concerned to be nominated by that State Government-- Members, ex officio;
(f) a representative of the Developer concerned--Special invitee.
(3) For the purpose of exercising its powers and performing its functions, the Approval Committee may invite to its meetings, such persons as the Committee deems fit, whose assistance or advice it may consider necessary.
(4) Every Approval Committee shall meet at such times and places as it considers necessary and shall have the power to regulate its own procedure.
(5) One-half of the total Members of the Approval Committee shall form a quorum, and all the acts of the Approval Committee shall be decided by a general consensus of the Members present:
Provided that in case the Approval Committee is unable to decide any matter by a general consensus, such matter shall stand referred to the Board of Approval for its decision.
(6) No act of the Approval Committee shall be called in question on the ground merely of existence of any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Approval Committee.
(7) All orders and decisions of the Approval Committee and all other communications issued by it shall be authenticated by the signature of the Chairperson or any other member as may be authorised by the Approval Committee in this behalf.
(8) The term of office of an ex officio Member shall come to an end as soon as he ceases to hold office by virtue of which he was so nominated.